On a more serious note
Last month I was very saddened to hear of the death of a former colleague. She was bright and beautiful and talented and she had recently returned from honeymoon.
Katie died from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Getting a carbon monoxide alarm was one of those things that was always on our 'to do' list. We have a smoke alarm of course but had never got round to getting a carbon monoxide alarm. You read about people dying from carbon monoxide poisoning and you think 'yes, must get an alarm' but then you forget. You think 'it will never happen to me'.
But then I heard about Katie.
So today I'm making a plea. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, please get one – this one by Ei Electronics, for example is available from Homebase, and it's incredibly easy to install (you can also buy alarms from Argos and BandQ). And if you have one already, please check the batteries, or if it's one of those card ones, check it doesn't need replacing.
*For more information on safety in the home, visit ChildAlert .
written by Liz Jarvis